Why the hesitancy?
It was finally time for me to cut into that very expensive embroidered silk dupion for my friends wedding outfit.
I now have a "sewing room", so I was able to lay the fabric completely out on the floor and pin all my pattern pieces to it before I started cutting. I'd taken the time to trace the back so it was a complete back piece, not the normal half, and 2 fronts, so that I could see exactly what I was dealing with. And luckily I could see the fabric pattern through the pattern pieces, so I could measure and rearrange to my hearts content.
I even went as far as to line the 2 front pieces up with my long ruler to make sure I'd got everything right.
In the end I checked and checked and checked again, then just told myself to get on and cut!
The time I spent making sure the pattern was evenly placed definitely paid off, once the lining is attached, I think these fronts are going to match perfectly.
I centred the main flower pattern down the front and back, and made sure that there wasn't a huge flower directly over the boob area! On the back, the main flowers fall between the back darts.
It looks quite strange on Rosie, the fabric is so stiff it almost stands by itself. Hopefully it will look much better with a real body inside it.
The dress is virtually finished, apart from hemming, which I'm going to wait and do at the same time as the jacket. Jenny tried the dress on just before I went on holiday. It fits perfectly and she loves it.
I'm particularly pleased with the piped edges to the neckline and armholes.
My next job is to make enough piping to go around the jacket neckline and down both fronts, then attach the lining to the main part.
I'm then going to make a matching clutch bag and hopefully a fabric covered coat hanger.
Then I can get on with MY jacket for the same wedding!