Sew Different Panel Tee

Whilst browsing Pinterest the other day, this top came up in my feed. 


I thought it looked really interesting, so followed the link through and found myself at Sew Different.  I hadn't heard of Sew Different before, it appears as though it's a pretty new website, and the owner Laura offers lots of free patterns.  I decided to have a go at this one. 

As you would expect, it's a pdf download.  There are three pattern pieces (you use the same piece for the front and back and just cut the neckline lower on the front) and the pdf itself is only 7 pages!

The pattern doesn't include instructions, but there is a link on Laura's website to instructions for a dress constructed in a very similar way. 

The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether the pattern included seam allowances.   After doing a bit of measuring to see how the pieces lined up I added about 10mm to be on the safe side, but I'm not sure that I needed to.

The pieces went together really easily, you start by hemming the sleeve pieces and attaching them to the side panel.  After sewing the shoulder seams the two side panels get attached to the front and back pieces in one long seam each.  This looks as if it's going to be tricky, but isn't really. 

My top has a centre back seam because I was re-purposing some fabric from a failed dress, and I think I would include a centre back seam again as I like to add a little bit of shaping there. 

You can see I've also curved the hem and made the back longer than the front. 

As I mentioned, the bird print fabric was salvaged from a failed dress I attempted just before I went on holiday and the satin I used for the side panels was from my stash.   Luckily they went together really well.

I really like this top and can definitely see myself making it again.  It was a pretty quick project too, I completed it yesterday afternoon in a few hours.  I've got some black jersey that I think would work well for this, and that would make it even quicker to put together. 

All that remains for me to say is thank you to Laura for providing the pattern!

Made by Me: Butterick/Lisette 6169 Biker Jacket

Hello my lovelies!

I've finally got another project to share with you today.  I've been a bit absent from this blog, and I have to admit I've been finding blogging a bit hard recently.   What I find hardest is taking decent photos, as currently we don't really have anywhere  in our house that has good enough lighting and a good background.  That's why todays project is modelled by Rosie rather than me - it's easier for me to drag her about the house and find a little spot for her than it is for me to set up the camera on self timer and try to photograph myself.

Hopefully though we will be reconfiguring our spare bedroom soon, which should mean I have a blank wall and decent lighting in the same room!

Anyway, enough of my blogging and photography woes, lets get down to the nitty gritty.   I've made a jacket using the newly released Butterick Lisette B6169 pattern.

Butterick Lisette B6169 line drawing

As soon as I saw this pattern I knew I had to have it.  I'm not keen on the dress, but I have a RTW jacket that I love and that is almost identical to this one.  I had been searching for a pattern to no avail, when suddenly this one was released.   This one is actually better than my RTW jacket, as the RTW one doesn't have pockets!

Butterick 6169 front view

I was lazy again and didn't make a muslin, instead I checked the finished measurements on the pattern pieces, and cut a size 10 for the shoulders and bust, grading out to a size 12 at the hips.  I ended up having to narrow the shoulders about another half an inch, so if I made this pattern again I would cut a size 8 there.  I then made the lining up as my muslin, and once happy with the fit went on to cut my fashion fabric. 

Butterick 6169 back view

The fabric is some I bought a couple of years ago to make a jacket for a wedding.  However at the time I was also making the mother of the grooms outfit for the same wedding and didn't have time to make my outfit.  I went off the fabric after that, but I'm quite in love with it again now.  I believe it is a cotton/rayon blend, and it's got a very Chanel look to it. 

It also frays like mad if you so much as look in it's direction.  As I was in the process of making it, the edges of the pieces were fraying more and more, but I kind of liked the look.  I wondered if it was possible to leave the edges raw, but realised that I'd probably have something only suitable for the rag bag within weeks if I did.  Playing about with some fabric scraps I hit upon the idea of using some bias strips as a trim, which I sewed in between the outer fabric and lining during construction.  It does make the edges a bit thicker than I would prefer, but I like the effect.

Butterick 6169 trim

Construction-wise the jacket went together really well and the instructions were generally pretty good.  The only place I got a bit stuck was with the hem, as somehow I ended up with the lining being a bit too short.  I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I solved the problem by adding some pre-made bias tape and some lace trim to cover the join. 

Butterick 6169 inside trim

I'm considering making another in a neutral shade for summer, although there are a couple of other jacket patterns I'm considering, so maybe not.  I think I'd definitely make this again come Autumn/Winter.  In a ponte fabric it would be great for work.