I've finally got another project to share with you today. I've been a bit absent from this blog, and I have to admit I've been finding blogging a bit hard recently. What I find hardest is taking decent photos, as currently we don't really have anywhere in our house that has good enough lighting and a good background. That's why todays project is modelled by Rosie rather than me - it's easier for me to drag her about the house and find a little spot for her than it is for me to set up the camera on self timer and try to photograph myself.
Hopefully though we will be reconfiguring our spare bedroom soon, which should mean I have a blank wall and decent lighting in the same room!
Anyway, enough of my blogging and photography woes, lets get down to the nitty gritty. I've made a jacket using the newly released Butterick Lisette B6169 pattern.
|Butterick Lisette B6169 line drawing|
As soon as I saw this pattern I knew I had to have it. I'm not keen on the dress, but I have a RTW jacket that I love and that is almost identical to this one. I had been searching for a pattern to no avail, when suddenly this one was released. This one is actually better than my RTW jacket, as the RTW one doesn't have pockets!
|Butterick 6169 front view|
I was lazy again and didn't make a muslin, instead I checked the finished measurements on the pattern pieces, and cut a size 10 for the shoulders and bust, grading out to a size 12 at the hips. I ended up having to narrow the shoulders about another half an inch, so if I made this pattern again I would cut a size 8 there. I then made the lining up as my muslin, and once happy with the fit went on to cut my fashion fabric.
|Butterick 6169 back view|
The fabric is some I bought a couple of years ago to make a jacket for a wedding. However at the time I was also making the mother of the grooms outfit for the same wedding and didn't have time to make my outfit. I went off the fabric after that, but I'm quite in love with it again now. I believe it is a cotton/rayon blend, and it's got a very Chanel look to it.
It also frays like mad if you so much as look in it's direction. As I was in the process of making it, the edges of the pieces were fraying more and more, but I kind of liked the look. I wondered if it was possible to leave the edges raw, but realised that I'd probably have something only suitable for the rag bag within weeks if I did. Playing about with some fabric scraps I hit upon the idea of using some bias strips as a trim, which I sewed in between the outer fabric and lining during construction. It does make the edges a bit thicker than I would prefer, but I like the effect.
|Butterick 6169 trim|
Construction-wise the jacket went together really well and the instructions were generally pretty good. The only place I got a bit stuck was with the hem, as somehow I ended up with the lining being a bit too short. I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I solved the problem by adding some pre-made bias tape and some lace trim to cover the join.
|Butterick 6169 inside trim|
I'm considering making another in a neutral shade for summer, although there are a couple of other jacket patterns I'm considering, so maybe not. I think I'd definitely make this again come Autumn/Winter. In a ponte fabric it would be great for work.