Wow, I cannot believe I made this dress a month ago and today is the first time I've had the time to blog about it.
This is/was my birthday dress and since my birthday at the beginning of the month it's been worn several times. I totally love it!
The pattern is Papercut Patterns Clover dress, which I bought as soon as it was released. I rarely buy a pattern immediately it is released, normally preferring to wait until there are a few reviews and finished projects I can check out, but I knew I wanted this as soon as I saw it.
It was a very easy project. I received the pattern on a Saturday morning, by lunchtime had made a muslin, and had the dress finished to wear out to dinner on the Sunday evening.
Based on my measurements I cut a size small (do Papercut Patterns size larger than other companies, as I'm rarely a small!) and didn't need to make any fit alterations at all. I did lengthen the skirt and also the sleeves, but that was purely to account for the fact that we're coming into Autumn and a I knew a short dress with short sleeves wouldn't get much wear.
To lengthen the sleeves, I literally just cut them longer, at the width the existing hem was, so that they were full length. The cuffs - which I really should have taken a photo of as I'm so proud of them - were loosely pleated into a narrow band of pre-made bias tape.
Initially I added 6 inches of length to the skirt, then at the hemming stage cut it into a high-low hem by removing 4 inches from the front. If I get bored with the high-low look I'll just shorten the back to match the front.
I was really pleased with the way the pattern went together. Every piece matched perfectly, even the lace inset pieces for the bodice. I was really worried that I wasn't going to get them to line up nicely either side of the centre front seam, but my worries were needless.
For the lace inset panel I used some scraps from a lace collar I'd bought a couple of years ago. I had just enough to cut the 2 pieces.
You might recognise the fabric - it's the same as I used for my Polly top a couple of months ago. I liked it so much I went back to the shop and bought some more. It's a polyester georgette, but it's a lovely weight and only slightly sheer. I have to wear a waist slip under it, but the fabric isn't so sheer that I need a full slip.
I'll definitely make this pattern again - probably the blouse version next - and after seeing Tess Daly (on the right in the photo below) on Strictly Come Dancing, I'm wondering how I can hack the top into a jumpsuit.
I also think a short sleeved maxi version would be lovely for next summer.