That's how I felt today. I'd had a fairly average day, driving to South London from home and back. A journey of 40 odd miles that took me 3 hours this morning! Thankfully coming home it took about half that.
By the time I got home I just wanted to relax and do something creative.
So, I had a rummage in my pattern and fabric stash and less than 2 hours later, this top was finished!
The pattern is Simplicity 2263, purchased half price a month or so ago. I was going to use the fabric that became my Lattice Topped Dress for the top in this pattern, but obviously that didn't happen!
The fabric is a jersey remnant that I literally had just enough to squeeze the top out of.
The top is 2 pieces (wonderful for after work, unplanned sewing!) as I didn't need to use the neck facings. The "shoulder" seams are dropped forward and the front gathers onto the back part.
I stabilised the shoulder seams with some transparent elastic - I think it's meant for swimwear or underwear and I don't even know why I have it in my sewing box.
|Ooops, looks like I missed a little bit of the neckline hem, by the shoulder seam. I'll have to fix that!|
The neckline, sleeves and hem are just turned under and sewn using a zigzag stitch that is made up of tiny straight stitches. (Like number 11 below)
I don't know if it has a special name! It's the first time I've used this stitch on jersey and it gave a much nicer result than a standard zigzag does.
I'm very pleased with the result. The pattern isn't designed for jersey, but it definitely works, and it's the type of top I find easy and comfortable to wear. I can definitely see me making more of these, possibly an inch or two longer next time.
|I was feeling a bit headless (or brainless) by the time I got home from work!|
Next up will be the tulip skirt from the same pattern, in some dark denim. Hopefully that will happen over the weekend.