I had lost my sewing mojo a little over the last week or so, for a couple of reasons. One is that I'm feeling slightly intimidated by the thought of making the bound buttonholes for my Vogue 8458 coat, and the other being a problem with my lower back that made sitting at the sewing machine for any length of time rather uncomfortable. Thankfully my very lovely osteopath is sorting out my back, so I can sit at the machine in comfort again. Sadly, he can't help with the bound buttonholes, so I guess I'm on my own with those!
Anyway, this last weekend I wanted to sew, but I didn't want anything complicated. Step forward some fabric I bought for a song on Ebay recently and Burdastyle Gathered Dress 06/2012 #126 (such a catchy name!).
After work on Friday I set about cutting out, having found time earlier in the week to download and assemble the pattern. I had to do a bit of jiggery pokery and cut the dress with a seam at the centre back, which it shouldn't have had, because I didn't have quite enough fabric to lay both front and back on a fold. Never mind, that wasn't a problem, because the centre back seam in the skirt is largely hidden by the gathers anyway.
|The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that I failed at matching the pattern!|
The pieces went together easily, although I had to fiddle a bit with the pleats on the front, and to be honest you can't really see them anyway.
The only changes I made were to lengthen the sleeves to full length (although they are still about 1/2 an inch too short really) and sew the front opening up to about halfway, so as not to expose my underwear to all and sundry. I also lowered the neck about an inch at the front. If I was to make this again, and I might because it's so comfortable, I'd lower the neck even further.
The pattern calls for hooks and eyes to close the front, but I did small square mother of pearl buttons and hand stitched button loops.
|I'm very pleased with my button loops!|
I am going to buy some more buttons and sew them down the front to give the effect of it buttoning to the waist.
I used French seams wherever possible, and where I couldn't (front and back gathers and armholes) I covered the seam with bias tape as this fabric frays like mad.
I think it's pretty likely I'll make this again at some stage, either as another dress, or as a tunic length top to wear over skinny jeans.
I'll try and get some modelled shots at some stage, as this actually looks much nicer on me than it does on Rosie, but I struggle with taking photos of myself without a photographer!