I've been making a real effort to make some separates recently, rather than more dresses, and today I have another top to show you.
I bought this fabric recently at the Knitting and Stitching Show, from the Stitch booth. It's a medium weight jersey - 100% polyester I think - but it's very light and has lovely drape to it.
I knew I wanted a top of this shape - I have a plain black woven one in my wardrobe that I love - but I couldn't find a suitable pattern. However I had recently downloaded the Republique du Chiffon Ludivine dress pattern, and decided to use the top of that for the basis of my peplum top.
To do this I cut the pattern pieces to finish at the waist, then used a 10 inch deep strip of fabric to make the peplum. This was gathered onto the bottom of the bodice.
I added some thin elastic to the seam to help it keep it's shape. Unfortunately I didn't stretch the elastic quite enough when I sewed it on, so the finished seam is a little bit wavy. The print hides the worst of it, but I decided to add belt loops so I could wear a belt to cover the seam.
I added a loop at each of the princess seams and both side seams. They're positioned just over the waist seam.
The pattern itself when together really easily, which is good, because the only instructions are in French. Luckily I didn't need them at all. The pattern pieces matched up perfectly, and I'd definitely use this pattern again, as the dress it's intended to be. It's designed for knits but I think with a little adjustment (and a zip) it could work for a woven fabric too.
I'm really happy with my new top. Now I just need the lovely warm weather we had the other weekend to return so I can wear it without freezing to death!