A lot of my winter tops are black and grey, so when I saw this gorgeous crepe fabric on the Minerva Crafts website, I knew it would be perfect for adding some much needed colour into my winter wardrobe. I decided to use the fuchsia colour to make a skirt for my December project.
This fabric seems very popular. A couple of the other Network bloggers have used it in a different colour. I'm not surprised as it's gorgeous quality, and comes in some great colours.
I wanted quite a simple style for this skirt and after considering several patterns I settled on the skirt from New Look 6035. This is another pattern I’ve used before, and was happy with the results. I did have to lengthen it 4 inches though – this is a short skirt if made exactly to the pattern length.
Because the skirt is a simple shape and the fabric is plain I decided to add some extra touches. Firstly I drafted some pockets for the front using this tutorial. My pockets are a different shape, but the principle is the same. I piped the edge of the pockets as well, using bias strips cut from my skirt fabric to encase the piping cord. This was attached between the skirt front and pocket lining.
I’d then got the piping bug, and decided to pipe the waistband. Initially I was just going to do the seam between the band and the main part of the skirt, but then I decided to pipe the top of the band as well.
The skirt fastens with an invisible zip (which is almost invisible), I did have a bit of trouble with the very top of it and as you can see there is a small gap here. I think that's partly due to the number of layers of fabric right on that seam. When using piping in this way it's important to grade your seam allowances, as at some points there are quite a few layers of fabric. I don’t think the little gap will be visible when the skirt is actually worn though.
To finish the skirt I used a faced hem. The pattern calls for the hem just to be turned up and sewn, but the hem is curved and the fabric is thickish, so I was worried about easing the excess fabric in neatly enough.
To make the hem facing I just traced the bottom few inches of the skirt pattern. I finished the top edge of the facing with bias tape, then machined the lower edges together, right sides facing. After understitching the facing I trimmed the seam allowance on the facing down to ¼ of an inch and pressed the facing up. The facing was then basted in place so that I could hand sew it with tiny catch stitches that don’t show on the right side.
I’m really pleased with the results of this project. The fabric was gorgeous to sew with and the finished skirt will bring some much needed colour to my winter wardrobe. I might even get daring and wear it with a dark purple top and matching tights!
If you’d like to brighten up your wardrobe you can buy a kit for this skirt here.