I haven't really had that much to blog about recently, hence the silence. I've been sewing odd bits and bobs, but have mainly been working on an outfit I'm making for a friend, which I'll hopefully be able to share with you soon, as it's nearly finished.
I did also have the pleasure of pattern testing the Branson top last month, a new pattern by Debbie of Lily Sage and Co.
I fell in love with Debbie's own version of this, and when she said she was going to release a pattern and was looking for testers I quickly signed up and was lucky enough to be chosen.
I have to say, although I loved the top on Debbie, I wasn't sure how it would look on me, as we have very different body shapes. However I'm pretty pleased with the result.
The pattern is described by Debbie as a button down top with dropped shoulders and two sleeve options. The back of the top is moderately fitted, with a peplum. The front of the top is unfitted with a longer, graduated hem, and a front waist tie. View A is sleeveless. View B has loosely fitted sleeves with a curved hem feature.
It comes with two separate pattern pieces for the front - one for B cups and below and one for C cups and above. I know it's extra work for the designer but I think that's a great feature in an independent pattern.
As part of the testing process I made View B with the long sleeves and used the C+ front pattern piece.
The top came together beautifully, I was really impressed with the way all the pattern pieces fitted perfectly and the instructions were in my opinion just right. Plenty of detail, without talking down to you, and a few handy little tips sprinkled throughout.
After wearing the top a couple of times I have altered the sleeves slightly. The curved hem unfortunately drove me mad when I wore the top, so I unpicked the hem facing, trimmed the excess off and refinished the sleeves with a straight hem. I think I'll get a lot more wear out of it this way.
I'm also excited to make the sleeveless version soon, and at some stage would like to attempt a dress version as well. I think it should be pretty easy to lengthen.
As part of the pattern testing process Debbie provided me with the pdf pattern at test stage and has also given me a copy of the finalised pattern with a few minor alterations following the testing feedback.
Debbie's Sea Change top is high on my list to make soon as well.
Thanks very much to Debbie for allowing me to test this pattern.