It’s not actually the dress I had intended to make. When I ordered my fabric – this black washed linen and rayon – I ordered a Vogue pattern, V1447 to be precise. I thought the black linen/rayon would make a lovely summer sun dress, and I’m sure it would have done if I could have got the pattern to fit.
I muslined the dress but wasn’t happy with the fit of the bodice at all, mainly how low the back was. Recently I’ve had quite limited sewing time and I just couldn’t work out how I could alter the bodice so I’d be happy with it. I decided to put the pattern aside to hopefully be revisited at a later date and try something else.
I’d recently been part of the pattern testing process for Lily Sage & Co.’s new Branson top and while making my test version I thought how nice it would look as a dress. So... without making a muslin this time I turned it into a dress. I’m not the only person to have thought of this – Debbie Iles, the designer has mentioned that she may well make a dress version, and Reyna Lay has shared a tutorial for how she made the alterations here I did almost exactly the same as Reyna Lay, except I also added the curved hem to the back of the skirt.
The only other alteration I made was to make a full belt and belt loops, rather than the ties that are sewn into the side seams on the original pattern.
I haven’t worn this yet, as since I finished it the weather hasn’t really been warm enough, but fingers crossed it won’t be long before I am able to wear it. It feels lovely on, I’m sure the fabric will be perfect for the nice warm weather I’m sure is just around the corner. I think this could be my perfect summer dress!