Recently I bought the By Hand London Victoria blazer pattern, with the intention of making it up in some gorgeous black broderie anglais. Because the fabric is so lovely, I wanted to make a muslin (I will freely admit I don't ALWAYS make a muslin, although I do more and more often now). I went to my cupboard and got out the bag of fabric I use for muslins, only to discover I had less than half a metre left! Ooops, time to visit Ikea for some more.
But as so often happens I was desperate to sew, so I hunted around for something else to use. My eyes fell upon a remnant of furnishing weight linen that I bought a while ago from a local curtain shop, just because it was pretty. I thought I might make it into a bag or something. However it seems it was destined to become a muslin for Victoria, and a very wearable muslin at that.
I literally had about a metre of this fabric, so no pattern matching could be done, and I had to omit the collar and cuffs - although I really like it that way. I'm planning on making my "real" one without the collar too, although I will use the cuffs I think.
As you can see from the photos above and below I added a dart at the hem on each front, in line with the neck dart. I did this because the fabric is quite stiff and it stuck out quite a lot at the front. This has shaped it in a bit, and hasn't really made that much difference to the intended shape.
I'm very pleased to say that quite early on in construction I realised I wasn't going to have to make any fitting alterations at all, and that my muslin was indeed going to be wearable.
I did however cut a much smaller size than I would normally to make it more fitted. I would normally wear a size 12 in a jacket, which on this pattern has a finished bust of 44 1/2 inches. I ended up cutting a size 8 for the body and a 10 for the sleeves, as my arms are not the slimmest. I'm more than happy with the resulting fit.
The jacket body is lined with some basic beige acetate lining - which is all my local fabric shop stocks - that I rushed out and bought as soon as I realised that this wasn't going to be consigned to the scrap heap. I finished the armholes with matching bias tape, enclosing both the outer fabric of the body and sleeves and the body lining for a neat finish.
I couldn't resist that last photo opportunity, but don't worry, I won't be wearing my new jacket to do the gardening. (I don't DO gardening!)
All in all, I'd call this a resounding success, and I only hope my next one - which is currently under construction - turns out as well.