After spending ages convincing myself I wasn't going to buy Colette's new Laurel dress pattern I totally caved and bought it! Must have been the lure of the fabulous prizes in their contest (not that I expect to win for one minute!)
I had some navy viscose/linen in my stash that I bought quite recently to make another dress with and when it arrived (I bought it online) it didn't feel right for the other dress. However it was perfect for Laurel.
This is what I did with it.
I couldn't be bothered to make a muslin, so I used my NL6000 pattern (which fits perfectly) to make a few minor adjustments, but after that I went my own way completely.
I drafted some little pockets, which I think you can just about see have a little pleat at the top. The bias tape edging the neck and pockets is self made (my first time at making bias tape - managed to burn my fingers several times!) and I used the scallops from the bottom of Colette's Meringue skirt pattern.
Inside, the side seams, shoulder seams and sleeve seams are French seams (my favourite seam finish), the armhole/sleeve seams are bound with bias tape (my second favourite seam finish) and the edge of the hem facing is covered with bias tape and hand finished. I thought I'd got photos of them but it appears I've deleted them by mistake. Ooops!
Anyway, I love it. I think it will (weather permitting) make a great addition to my Me Made May wardrobe, and I've entered it into the "Details" section of Colette's Laurel contest.
I'm currently halfway through making a stripy top from the jersey Rosy sent me as part of my Nautical gift exchange, then it's on to unselfish sewing!
Last night I took delivery of £400 worth of embroidered silk dupion and satin back crepe to make a "Mother of the Groom" outfit for a friend of ours. I'm absolutely terrified about cutting the silk up, it cost £85 a metre! First job is to grade up the pattern slightly and make a muslin!