I've only made one Named Patterns pattern before - the Jamie jeans - but when they released their latest collection - New Black - I knew I had to make the Lexi dress. From the line drawing it looked as if it would be right up my street, and it is.
Here's my finished version.
I was going to tell you what size I made but I can't remember. I printed and cut the pdf pattern out a few weeks before I actually made the dress and I don't have a record of which size I actually used in the end. I'm naughty - I don't trace pdf patterns - I just cut them out, working on the principle that I can print them again if I need to. I'd actually rather spend time sticking the sheets together than tracing!
Anyway, I'm happy with the fit across the shoulders and bust, but I'd probably go down one size in the waist and hips another time. It's meant to be a loose dress but this one is very loose on me. I do like the shape though, but feel I can only get away with it because it's above knee length.
I made a few changes along the way as I normally do, nothing major this time though because I love the dress as it is. The pattern calls for the dress to be lined, but I didn't have any suitable lining so I didn't. I just used the facing pieces for the top pattern (which is also included when you buy the dress) to finish the neckline. I used to hate neck facings but I'm coming round to the idea of them again.
I also omitted the back zip, because I only had a standard red zip in the right length and I only like invisible zips in the back of dresses. It really doesn't need the zip though, I can get it on and off easily. I think even if I went down a size I wouldn't need a zip in it.
I cut the dress to the length given on the pattern, but then did a much deeper hem - 4 inches instead of the recommended inch and a quarter. I think this is the perfect length for me - I'm 5' 3" - any longer and it would look like a shapeless, frumpy sack. I love the way it's slightly longer at the back.
I'll definitely make this again, I have some black and ivory houndstooth fabric in my stash that might work for it, although it's a heavier weight than this crepe. I think that might work if I go down a size, so that it's not quite so loose. I think it would also work in a ponte knit and would be so comfortable.
In the meantime I think I'm going to wear this version to my parent's 50th wedding anniversary party a week on Saturday.