I thought it looked really interesting, so followed the link through and found myself at Sew Different. I hadn't heard of Sew Different before, it appears as though it's a pretty new website, and the owner Laura offers lots of free patterns. I decided to have a go at this one.
As you would expect, it's a pdf download. There are three pattern pieces (you use the same piece for the front and back and just cut the neckline lower on the front) and the pdf itself is only 7 pages!
The pattern doesn't include instructions, but there is a link on Laura's website to instructions for a dress constructed in a very similar way.
The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether the pattern included seam allowances. After doing a bit of measuring to see how the pieces lined up I added about 10mm to be on the safe side, but I'm not sure that I needed to.
The pieces went together really easily, you start by hemming the sleeve pieces and attaching them to the side panel. After sewing the shoulder seams the two side panels get attached to the front and back pieces in one long seam each. This looks as if it's going to be tricky, but isn't really.
My top has a centre back seam because I was re-purposing some fabric from a failed dress, and I think I would include a centre back seam again as I like to add a little bit of shaping there.
You can see I've also curved the hem and made the back longer than the front.
As I mentioned, the bird print fabric was salvaged from a failed dress I attempted just before I went on holiday and the satin I used for the side panels was from my stash. Luckily they went together really well.
I really like this top and can definitely see myself making it again. It was a pretty quick project too, I completed it yesterday afternoon in a few hours. I've got some black jersey that I think would work well for this, and that would make it even quicker to put together.
All that remains for me to say is thank you to Laura for providing the pattern!